We are very proud of the ways that our neighbors green their routines-- almost entirely on a volunteer basis! Most people who live, work and go to school here would be surprised to know that there are many laws on the books to support sustainable practice. To them, living sustainably just makes good common sense. Yet sometimes laws are necessary to provide more structure or specifc guidance than a policy would. This page serves as a reference index to those laws.
Your first place to look for information is Municode. There, you ask access our city's complete Code of Ordinances and Unified Land Development Code. This index assists you in focusing your search.
NOTE: This index is in formation and is not yet complete. Check back for updates. For information regarding County, State and Federal laws, please reference the respective websites.
Proposed and Under Review
A proposed Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ ordinance includes revisions and criteria which encourages nationally-recognized Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ (FFL) and sustainable principles as language to be incorporated into the City of Fort Lauderdale Code of Ordinances, Chapter 47 Unified Land Development Regulations (ULDR), ARTICLE III. - DEVELOPMENT REQUIREMENTS Section 47-21. LANDSCAPE AND TREE PRESERVATION REQUIREMENTS.
Passed and Enacted
- Code of Ordinances - Ch. 14 - FLOODPLAIN MANAGEMENT
- Ordinance No. C-14-26 AMENDING CHAPTER 14, ADOPTING NEW FLOODPLAIN MANAGEMENT REGULATIONS
- Code of Ordinances - Ch. 28, ARTICLE IV. - STORMWATER MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
Conservation & Efficiency
- Water Conservation
- Code of Ordinances - Ch. 28, ARTICLE 1, Sec. 28-1A. - Water shortage—Declaration of emergency; emergency restrictions.
- Code of Ordinances - Ch. 28, ARTICLE 1, Sec. 28-1B. - Water conservation.
- Code of Ordinances - Ch. 28, ARTICLE 1, Sec. 28-1C. - Enforcement of emergency and conservation restrictions of water usage and penalties.
- Code of Ordinances - Ch. 28, ARTICLE 1, Sec. 28-1. - Water restrictions and conservation.
Responsible Development & Land Use
- Sustainable Building
Natural Resources Preservation
- Growing Our Green Canopy
- Florida-Friendly Landscaping
- Wildlife & Habitats
Transportation & Connectivity
- On the Water
- Code of Ordinances - Ch. 8, ARTICLE IV, Division 1 - Sec. 8-119. - Pump-out facilities
- Code of Ordinances - Ch. 8, ARTICLE V, Division 1 - Sec. 8-152. - Garbage and waste disposal.
- Code of Ordinances - Ch. 8, ARTICLE V, Division 1 -Sec. 8-156. - Marine sanitation systems.
- Code of Ordinances - Ch. 8, ARTICLE V, Division 1 - Sec. 8-166. - Speed limits in waterways.