Community Builders are City of Fort Lauderdale employees. The Sustainability Division offers a number of resources for them to take advantage of to learn about and implement green practices and procedures into their work. Community Builders should contact us via the Sustainability Division Administrative Aide to get more information.
Job Aides and Technical Assistance
- Setting your printer to default to double-sided - Please call the IT Help Desk at 5555. An intern will be dispatched to reconfigure your copiers, printers, etc.
- No Idling
- COMING SOON: Climate Change and Sustainability-- Science, Seriousness, Solutions
- Environmental and Sustainability Management System
Waste Disposal Policies, Events and Boxes
- HHW Drop-off: City departments may utilize our household hazardous waste drop-off events to remove qualifying waste from city buildings and facilities. Please contact our Solid Waste Coordinator at least one week prior to the event to communicate your needs and arrange for drop-off. Prior to disposing of electronics (such as computers, phones, surge cables, etc.) please contact IT.
- Cell phone recycling: A drop box is located in the lobby of City Hall
- Medication Drop-off: A drop box is located in the lobby of the Police Department HQ.
- Ink and Toner Recycling: Drop boxes should be located in all copy rooms, with at least one box in each building. If you cannot locate your box, please contact our Solid Waste Coordinator.
- Recycle Metal: The City has a contract for recycling waste metals. Please do not place used metals in facility dumpsters. Place them in available specialized containers at your site. If you cannot locate a container, contact the Solid Waste Coordinator.
The Sustainability Lab
Where can you go to think creatively and get advice about greening your operations? The Sustainability Lab! The Sustainability Lab is a specially designed high-tech, open concept design workspace meant to encourage collaboration, inspire innovative thinking, enable creative problem solving and support implementation of the City’s Vision. While the Lab serves primarily as a sustainability think tank, staff from all departments are invited to explore the processes and tools that the lab offers. It is used by the Sustainability Division for education and outreach, planning, webinars,and to provide space for visiting interns and fellows working on special projects. The 20' x 20' space encourages sustainable practice by the use of natural light, low VOC paint, and locally made items. Smartboards and video-conferencing encourage distance collaboration without fuel expenditures. Waste reduction is encouraged through an emphasis on technology and the provision of bare minimal storage. The Lab is located in the Tower 101 building next to City Hall. Bring your work team, and even your vendors or other contacts to think through your ideas and map out implementation plans. To reserve it contact our Sustainability Division Administrative Aide.
The Green Team
Do you have a great green idea? Our best ideas come from our community builders. We want to hear from you about how we can use sustainable practices to improving operation and service and save taxpayer dollars. Check the attached list of green team representatives. Find yours and reach out to submit your idea. If it makes sense, you may be able to work on a pilot and be eligible for recognition.
City of Fort Lauderdale employees are encouraged to carpool to meetings and events. Please take advantage of our van when several people are traveling to the same destination. The GYR cars as well as other vehicles may be available for your use in our shared car fleet. Contact Fleet Services for information. In addition, tthe Department of Sustainable Development has a limited number of bicycles for using in traveling the city and going between City government locations.
Recycling Bins and Mini Trashcans - Equip your desk with a personal recycling bin and a mini clip-on trashcan. The combination of the two will remind you that at least 75% of your waste can be recycled. Request yours through our Solid Waste Coordinator.
Recycling "It's Not a lot of Work" Posters - Hang this poster on your department's bulletin board or in your break area to remind people about recycling. Request yours through our Solid Waste Coordinator.