The Department of Sustainable Development’s Building Services is responsible for issuing tree removal and landscaping permits. If you are searching for information about landscape and tree preservation, and guidelines for permitting, installation, maintenance, removal and more, you can find it in the City of Fort Lauderdale’s Landscape and Tree Preservation Ordinance. Below are links to information you might need to ensure that you and any service providers are in compliance. You can also learn more on the Landscaping Forms and Info page.
Florida-Friendly Landscaping Information
- Florida Friendly Landscaping Guide to Plant Selection and Landscape Design
- Native Shrubs for South Florida (UF.IFAS document)
- Native Trees for South Florida (UF.IFAS document)
- Right Tree Right Place Brochure
- What Not to Plant - FEPPC Invasive Exotic Plant List
While permits are not required to prune a tree in Fort Lauderdale, tree pruning must be done according to acceptable national tree pruning standards, and a commercial tree trimmer must have a Broward County Tree Trimmer’s license to prune within Fort Lauderdale.
- Broward County Tree Trimmer Licensing Investigation & Enforcement Services
- Broward County Tree Trimmer Cards
- Proper Tree Pruning
Kimberly Pearson, Chief Landscape Plans Examiner
Urban Design & Planning Division
Department of Sustainable Development
Fax Permitting: 954-828-633