If you are a boater, you know that there are many responsibilities that come with owning a boat. One of the less enjoyable responsibilities is getting rid of gray and black waste, but it is something that if done properly keeps the water enjoyable for everyone. Why?
According to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection: "Most areas where boats congregate—harbors, anchorages, marinas, and some mooring fields —are naturally sheltered or semi-enclosed. These sheltered areas are not flushed as well as open waters so the end result is that any waste we put there tends to stay there. Unsightly and unhealthy, vessel waste has the potential to put a real damper on our water-based recreation."
Where to pump out
Use one of our many convenient pump out stations to empty your waste holding tanks. Use of the stations is free of charge on the New River in two locations and in all of our Clean Marinas as well. The locations listed below are open seven days a week from 8am to 5pm. The phone numbers and Marine VHF radio channels are listed as well so you can call ahead to the Dock Master’s office to arrange for assistance if necessary.
- Las Olas Marina at 240 E Las Olas circle, call (954) 828-7200 or VHF ch.16
- New River/Downtown at 2 South New River Drive East (south side only) call (954) 828-5423 or VHF ch.9
- Cooley’s Landing at 450 SW 7 Avenue, call (954) 828-4626 or VHF ch.9
Private providers also offer pump out services in our city. We have listed here those that offer pump-out station services and are also part of the FDEP Clean Marina program. However, additional private pump-outs are available in our City. A full listing is available on FDEP's website. Please contact these providers to determine fees, hours and eligibility to utilize stations.
- Bahia Mar Yachting Center - Call (954) 627-6309
- Fort Lauderdale Grand Marina - (954) 527-6781
- Hall of Fame Marina - (954) 764-3975
- Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-six Marina - (954) 728-3578
- Lauderdale Marina - (954) 523-8507
- Lauderdale Marine Center - (954) 713-0333
FDEP offers extensive information, instructions and location listings for pump out. There are over 300 pump-out locations in Florida. FDEP also provides grants for marina and dock owners who would like to install pump-out systems.